Friday, December 17, 2004

Super Fast Vegetable "casserole"

If you can not tell by now, I hate wasting time. Can't stand it. So "ease" is right behind nutrition when it comes to my meals. Here is one that is super fast, super easy, good for you, and good tasting!

SUPER FAST VEGGIE CASSEROLE

Ingredients
Water
About 3/4 of a cup of mixed vegetables (either mixed in bag, or just an assortment of your own)
Instant Potatoes
Quick Oatmeal
Wheat Germ
Ground Flax Seed

Into a small casserole dish (large bowl) pour in water.

Add
  • mixed vegetables (thawed, mildly warm)
  • equal amounts of instant potatoes and oatmeal (about 3 tablespoons each)
  • about 2 tablespoons of wheat germ
  • about 2 tablespoons of ground flax seed (I sometimes add a bit more of this) I really like the taste!
Microwave if not warm enough for about 30-40 seconds.

It should be pretty dry. Besides the taste and nutrition, another good thing about this is that you really can not mess it up. If it is too runny, you can always add more instant potatoes or oatmeal. And it keeps fine for tomorrow!

While I like it just "as it is", you can also add gravy or butter (SmartBalance Omega Plus).

Total time to prepare: about 3 minutes--2 if you are good :)


Yes I know that there is evidence that microwaving destroys antioxidant content. To which I can only say to try and minimize the time it is in the microwave--thaw the vegetables first, boil the water first, and do not cook for too long. The benefits of having it done fast are to tempting for me to totally eschew.


No comments: